I have been having conversations with the Sacramento Mayor’s office and the Convention Center about the possibility of having a three-day event here for independent authors. As far as capacity and willingness, Sacramento has the facilities to handle a large group of people from around the world, if – and this is a big if – there is interest in the indie author community.
This is an idea I had about a month ago and have been working up notes on ever since. This involves a large amount of capital, which I’ll need to raise as soon as I have some figures together.
I need your help. I’m not asking for any commitments here, simply opinions. I’d like to know if there is a strong enough interest to pursue this. So here’s a very basic rundown of what it would entail:
- Day One – A tradeshow, to which I would expect to be able to attract some of the vendors who make our self-publishing possible – Amazon, Smashwords, Google, Twitter, VistaPrint, etc.
- Day Two – A conference breakfast with a keynote speaker from the community – perhaps we could get lucky and attract J.A. Konrath. This would be followed by a selection of workshops writers could choose from with 5 time slots.
- Day Three – Book Fair – where authors could showcase their books – either physical or eBooks.
- The goal would be to keep the cost for authors as low as possible.
- Hopefully, people would have a chance to finally meet some of their online friends as well as invite readers to visit their booths on Day 3.
- I’m shooting for early 2013.
These are the very basics. I would really appreciate your feedback and/or questions.