Sunday, January 8, 2012

After the Rush

I’ve been on an adrenaline high for the past two weeks. It’s been wonderful.

In my last post, The Pure Joy of Writing, I described the wondrous state I was in while writing my latest book, a novella called “The Great Twitter Adventure: How 5 Tweeps Saved the World.” I finished and published it late yesterday. I was still flying high on my excitement at 2 a.m. this morning. Sometime after that – I have no idea when – I finally fell asleep.

Today – the adrenaline rush wore off, dramatically. Deep malaise set in as I tried to recover and I’ve had three naps today.

When I am taken over by a project or idea, I can literally live on air. I forget to eat, really can’t sleep much and am obsessed with the object of my intense focus. This time it was the book. Last time it was becoming proficient at Twitter, which was happily over the 4th of July weekend last year. Four days of non-stop tweeting until I understood how it worked and walked away with 38 followers. I was so impressed with myself!

I crashed that time, too. Only the excitement of meeting new people on Twitter kept me going through my sleepy period. I spent it propped up in front of my laptop, gazing at my timeline stream, occasionally able to rally enough to respond to something.

So, tonight before I hit the sack for the final time, I’ll throw down a few vitamins, drink as much water as my body will stand and give myself grace; because inevitably I blame myself for not doing more the day after.

Will I ever learn?

5 comments:

  1. Dear Kathy ... please take time to rest and refresh. You don't have to do it all in a day. Just breathe.

    And congrats on pubbing your latest work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would have been outstanding in Vietnam - that's how we worked there. Of course, you're pretty damn outstanding right where you are.
    Yours to count on,
    Bert

    PS - I'm going for the book right now

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to have you back, and I know what you mean, but when you're not at the table it gets awfully quiet. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are the best! Diane, Bert, Christina! I'm rested now. The high was well worth the downside, though. I love full steam ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can relate Kathy, it's so hard to stop what you're doing when you are so motivated. I downloaded your book and will give it a read. I look forward to it!

    ReplyDelete