Tuesday, March 8, 2011

You're a Writer If...

…you write. I’ve known quite a few writers who have hesitated to identify themselves as such. Why? Well, because they are under the mistaken impression that you must have been published to be a legitimate writer. Really?

Ever heard of a guy named Van Gogh? He never sold a painting in his lifetime. Does that mean he wasn’t a painter? I can almost hear the “yeah, buts” out there.

It’s as simple as that. There are varying degrees of accomplishment as a writer, but all that’s required is that you write in order for you to call yourself one - legitimately.

I recommend to friends that feel uncertain about their status to buy themselves some business cards with the title on it. You may prefer another designation – like wordsmith, which I’m fond of – but it is truly amazing how seeing a title behind your name gives you validity, silly but true.

Buy some business cards and see what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment